Trusted system now

is there anyone who uses GTDNext as their trusted system now?

Not yet - my concern is that I don’t know what the reliability of gtdnexts set up is. I am also unaware as to whether there is any back up option.

So my concern is that if GTDNExt is down for a few hours, I am stuck.

My thoughts also Rich. The system feels good, but what’s the story conserning back up etc.

James, could you tell us more about the backend, back ups etc?

Hi @rich and @mattilacken

Thankfully it’s all good news with regards to our reliability and backup standards. We use Digital Ocean for our cloud hosting. They are an incredible company that is starting to surpass even Amazon for new sign ups by small developers like us. You can read what the press has to say about them here or view what customers (developers like us) have to say here.

More and more big names are using Digital Ocean. Here is a recent quote from TechCrunch

Another example, Beyoncé launched her new album in December. It turns out that Beyonce.com runs on DigitalOcean. The servers handled the album launch without breaking a sweat. “We’ve seen 15 million visitors within the first 24 hours. She’s been pretty happy with the service,” Uretsky said.

They have incredible technology and industry leading reliability with 99.99% uptime SLA. As far as backup are concerned, digital ocean provides backups for us and we separately create a daily backup of the data.

Hi James, and thanks for the quick reply.
I´m testing your system daily, and using it parallell with my current system in Todoist, but I´m hoping to be able to “go all in” with GTDNext as soon as possible! =)
/Mattias

1 Like

@James - thanks for this info - it’s good to know that the hosting is solid.

Yes, that info about the hosting is very reassuring. I’m also using GTDNext concurrently with another system (recently switched from Nirvana to IQTell), and am a bit torn between the two very different approaches and UIs. The main thing keeping me from getting closer to using GTDNext as my trusted system is absence of an iphone app. @James, can you provide a general idea of when a mobile beta version might be available? I don’t say that to bug you - you’re making great progress on the web version, and it’s really fun watching it develop week by week!

Hi @joshr7 - I really wish I could. Our approach right now is to make a really great web experience and then to spend a portion of our time on mobile - without ignoring the web for months and months. However, it will take some time to get us to that point. How can everyone help get us there faster one might ask? (okay, you didn’t, but let’s pretend you did. :-)) Everyone can help use move toward a mobile faster by spreading the word about GTDNext. Forums, twitter, G+ FB, etc.

The more users we get on board now (and eventually sign up as subscribers) the faster we will be able to make progress on mobile. We lack the billionaire backing of an Asana so really need help from our early adopters to spread the word!

Thank you so much for saying that! We are having fun as well. It’s exciting to work on this with Sergio and all of you!

I want to love it, and I want it to be my trusted system, but, unfortunately, it’s not quite ready for prime time yet. So, like some have already mentioned, I am using it concurrently with todoist.

An iPhone/iPad app is an absolute requirement. I travel a fair amount, so do not always have a computer close at hand. I would like to the ability to add a time and reminders to actions. I want to be able to send email to GTDNext from more than one email address. I registered with my personal email, but I also use my work email. It is a pain to forward from work to personal email and then here. They need to do like other apps, and have a dedicated email address such as susan@gtdnext.com or something along those lines we can use. Eventually, I would also like to be able to add items via Siri. This one is not a deal breaker, but it would be nice as some of my best ideas hit me while driving down the road. Maybe ifttt will activate a GTDNext channel and I could do it that way.

I think they are off to a very good start, and am excited to see where it goes. But, my primary must have is a mobile app.

I agree. There are lots of features that users would need and/or would take for granted. Mobile capability is one of those things that simply needs to be there before you can truly call an app polished and ready.

And not only that. It is not enough to only match the rivals, to have what they have. An app also needs to have something special that makes people positively want to make the jump. I mean, even after they have added mobile capability and all the other common basics, why would anyone switch apps just for that? All other apps have mobile capability etc, too. They also need to add some twist that stands out as truly different and unambiguously positive.

I think GTDNext has the potential to be able to match its competition and to also add some new attractive value to the market. This remains to be seen, but I think there is hope.

http://forum.gtdnext.com/t/blog-feedback-version-1-release-annoucement/

Well, I’ve taken the plunge (ok, its not so much a plunge as we all know we can chop/change systems without too much issue), and am using GTDNext as my primary work list.

I too travel quite a lot and am genuinely struggling with the lack of mobile access but, for me, the outline style is working extremely well as many of my tasks are multi-levelled. The recent improvements in sequential tasks are also working well. I have previously used OmniFocus, NirvanaHQ and doit.im - and all of these have their own frustrations in the area of organising structured projects such as this. GTDNext appears to be the most suited to my workflow in this particular respect. This, for me personally, is that ‘special’ thing that @Folke alludes to in his post. Each person clearly has different priorities but this is an exciting one for me.

Admittedly I’m only in week 2 of this phase but so far so good. Doit.im remains lurking in my task bar (iphone and ipad too) but is now several days out of date. Yes, there are more features that are definitely required soon (mobile being obvious one, offline usage being a close second if mobile is too far out) but I am managing to work without those on the assumption they will be coming along in due course. If they don’t come soon then I will need to re-assess but for the time being I am very happy with what I have seen so far.

The development rate is impressive and the interaction with the user base commendable. We have seen this with other ‘startups’ in the past who have failed to maintain that approach once they become more established, so lets hope James and co don’t fall into that trap.

So far, so good for me. If you haven’t tried it yet, I suggest you give it a go.

1 Like

It seems we agree that all this is an area of functionality where GTDNext has started out strong, and could and should strive to stay in the lead: http://forum.gtdnext.com/t/action-hierarchies-and-project-flow

This functionality helps people stay in control of the what and the why, the totality of what is on their plate both now and later and how it all fits together and makes sense together. It makes reviewing and understanding much easier because it allows you to organize your stuff properly, both in terms of hierarchy and in terms of first/parallel vs later/sequentially. It also allows for automation. It will definitely attract users, some more than others. For me personally it is a “very-nice-to-have”, not more, not less. For others it will be worth even more (and for others less). It is definitely an area of functionality worthy of emphasizing and refining and making more accessible to more users. I am eager to see some cleaning up - some improved consistency and graphical clarity of this functionality, but basically GTDNext is already on the right way here. Kudos.

Is far as “trust” goes - in the general sense, I already trust GTDNext. I have no fear that tasks will get lost etc. It seems just as stable as other apps. What I am looking out for most of all in all apps, and cannot really find anywhere, is this http://forum.gtdnext.com/t/superior-overview-and-selection.

But as I said, I think it is a necessary prerequisite for commercial success to both have a reasonable level of polish overall AND one or more special areas of functionality to excel in. Total lack of phone and tablet access is bound to seriously limit people’s interest (clearly a sub-par level of polish).

The more I use this, the more I like it. I am finally starting to understand how everything works. Really, the only thing holding me back from making this my trusted system now is the lack of mobile integration. In today’s world, you have to have access via your tablets and phones. Any idea at all when mobile apps will be released? If it is soon, then I will stay, but if it is a long ways in the future, I am going to have to give it up and try and decide on another system to use.

I’m pleased to say that we have started work on a mobile version of the app. However, it is too soon to estimate when it will release. Thanks so much for your support of us this far! We will keep the community updated as we make progress on mobile.

1 Like

James,

when you talk about a mobile version, is that iPhone and Android?

Best regards,

Pascal.

Or windows phone. I am trying to use the web ui but it is not very mobile web browser friendly.

You are correct. We do not recommend trying to use it on a mobile device. Web UI only right now.

Eventually both. Not sure which will come out first.

So many platforms out there. Scary (expensive.)

Is it still the case that for technical reasons dedicated apps are still needed or is it getting viable to use a single mobile-friendly responsive web interface that can deal with any computer, tablet or phone and can adapt itself to the screen size and to whether it uses a mouse or a touch screen?