Some thoughts on actions

For me it’s confusing to have my projects and single actions mixed together. I like structure and not chaos. I see no reason or need to order the entire Projects list (I hope this is renamed) because the process of a daily scan to choose what actions to work on should be a filtering process based on your context/tags. You may want to order this smaller list to help you visualize before you decide what goes on the Focus list.

The Focus list on the other hand is where I would sort things in the order I will do them.

Just my opinion of course.

@Proximo and @James

I personally like to have this “Review & Organize” view which is really totally complete; covers all - absolutely nothing is missing from there; I can find anything I need.

But I agree that it could be designed in a way that makes it easier to see and find things, and this also bears a relationship to the other thread about mouse vs keyboard entry.

I think it should be super easy to start using the app:

• no risk of not knowing a command (because there are buttons for everything)

• no need to set up a structure of any kind in outline mode (because something is set up out of the box, and there are some helpful defaults)

• no risk of “losing” tasks or projects in some sequential mire

• no risk of losing your bearings due to unintentional disorder

For example, if a “single actions” container is necessary to guarantee that single actions are kept together, then a container with this name should be provided out of the box (but could perhaps be deletable, for those who know how), and a when a “new Action” button is clicked, tasks should land in this container by default, unless the Add button is clicked while viewing a particular project. And when a “new Project” button is clicked it should be assumed to be a first-level/top-level project, visible in the left menu, and the view should shift to this (empty) project. And when a new task is added to a project it will be visible on the “current” lists (parallel; not sequential).

Any user should be able to start using the app with a regular two-level project-action structure, all parallel, just like most other apps, by simply choosing which buttons to click.

In other words, a newcomer with no special expectations or experience should be able to start using the app without having any idea at all about outliners, hierarchical levels, sequential hold, automatic task progression or learn any keyboard shortcuts before they start. Just look, click, enter stuff and go. They should not even need to visit Review & Organize as a whole - they could visit the individual projects they have created and can select in the left menu (under Review & Organize). That would be my philosophy.

And then people like ourselves should be able to find, easily enough, how to create multiple levels by indenting, outdenting etc, or how to put subprojects and actions on sequential hold (or totally inactive), or how to use the full Review & Organize to drag and rearrange all their stuff, or how to use keyboard shortcuts for even faster speed. All this I would see as a second level. Even if many of the users who sign up will have high expectations for this “advanced” level (they have heard the buzz on other forums etc) it is still essential that the basic level is fully complete and well contained, and that even these experienced new users can get started without any problems whatsoever. And if they then find, say in the edit pane, things like arrow buttons for indent (lower level) , outdent (higher level) and a couple of checkboxes for sequential and inactive, and in the left menu a heading for Review and Organize they will probably find their way even without reading a manual. It will be easy for everybody.

Actually, those folder and action icons you recently added on the left - those, if colored, would actually be totally perfect indicators for parallel/sequential, and you could get rid of the one on the right.

Take a look at the outline page: The indentation and icon shape is very clear indeed. Let’s say you keep the green color for parallel actions but maybe use blue for parallel projects, then it will be very clear which ones can go on the “current list”- only the actions, the green ones.

And if you keep the gray color for sequential, I think that could apply to both actions and projects. And you could still add a red color for things that are completely manually disabled, if you decide to implement that (would be neat and clear; minimal extra development cost I would think).

And, here’s the final touch: If you use a pale blue and pale green for those planned parallel projects/actions that belong in a not-yet-active parent project (i.e. they belong in a gray or pale project) you will have solved the whole pre-planning difficulty with very subtle colors. You can the see and pre-plan long in advance which actions will be parallel when that project (subproject etc) gets active, but still see clearly that these items are not visible on the current lists yet.

Neat, huh? The killer app :slight_smile: (Please say yes :slight_smile: )

Some good suggestions here @Folke, thanks! We are considering them and some other ideas as well.

Yes, and I know you and Sergio will be able to sift all these vague possibilities and combine them with good and solid thoughts of your own.

All these things are worth considering. Making more use of the folder icons would both save space and make the parallel/sequential indicators easier to read (indented).

And in general making it simple for new users is never wrong. Actually - I think maybe @Proximo already mentioned this in a thread - I think it might be worth considering having “create new action” add the task to whatever list you’re currently looking at. I somehow doubt that people typically want them in the inbox (I know I normally don’t; I actually hardly use the inbox at all other than for the odd forwarded email), and I suspect it might scare new users if they add a task and cannot immediately see it on the list they are looking at.