Is there any way to add tasks from external system?

Just discovered GTDNext and it looks very promising. Tired of trying other apps that can’t understand why start dates (aka scheduled tasks) are important. Really like the hierarchical system in GTDNext.

However in my current setup (2Do with Toodledo, which I need to replace since it is changing pricing plans) I have written software to automate things. In particular I have software that looks for emails in my inbox and turns those into tasks in my task system and I cannot switch to GTDNext without this ability.

I know that you can email tasks to GTDNext but that just dumps them into your inbox which is not sufficient. I don’t want to have to manually then go set area, context, etc. in GTDNext when the software sending the task already knows where it should go.

Toodledo allows this through looking for special syntax in the email subject: How to use access Toodledo via email

So is there any way to insert fully specified tasks from outside the system or at least on the horizon? This could either be through email or through a REST API, I am comfortable working with either.

If there were just a way to set these when sending an email that would solve 95% of my needs:

• Mark it active not in inbox
  • Set area
  • Add tags
  • Mark the task focused

Setting due date, start date, priority, waiting and someday would be very nice to have, but I can live without those for now

Hi Dale and thanks for checking us out!

Unfortunately we don’t have a way to set those attributes (or any other) by email or API. It has been a very popular request, but it isn’t something we’ve taken on yet. I will add your voice to the request.

Think I am still going to give GTDNext a try hoping that you might add this in a few months. It should not be that hard to implement.

It occurred to me that there might be some fear that such tags might get accidentally interpreted. Since you allow creating several email addresses you could allow enabling it per email address so that sometime could have an email address where it would not be enabled