Controversial: What not to Waste Development Resources on

We are all different, I know. But some discussions are valuable even if our conclusions differ.

I’d like to offer some opinions here about things that I would suggest that GTDNext should try to avoid spending an overly amount of time and money on, unless they are clearly cheap and simple to implement, and strongly requested:

• “desktop integration”: cross-app and input tools and gadgets, e.g. chrome extensions, email gadgets, hotkeys etc etc. It is usually just as simple to switch to the GTD app and enter the tasks from there. No need to overdo this urge to integrate everything; just follow the trends; avoid being sub-par, but do not try to excel at it. It will always be a mess, and largely outside of your control.
  • “reference integration”: attachments and Evernote, Dropbox etc. People need to have a proper reference system no matter what. And they need to have their actions clearly processed and defined no matter what. Keeping everything linked is just a procrastinator’s way of skipping the processing step. Simple links are more than enough. More advanced reference integration is very complicated and expensive, and those who have gone for it can hardly afford any other development. Look at Zendone and IQTell. GTDNext would not likely ever be able to beat them at their game.
  • “calendar integration” export style: most apps have some kind of silly due date dump that clutters up people’s calendars. Useless because most of the due dates in your task app are not important enough to allow your calender to be made unreadable. If implemented, include some kind of manual selection or “export filtering” or other intelligence that controls what gets synced to what calendar, and allow “import syncing” from multiple shared calendars. Calendar integration will be complicated and expensive if it is going to be of any real use. It also encourages people to use non-GTD “scheduling”. But it has never been done properly by anyone, so if you invest a hell of a lot, you could be the first one to do it properly. I advise against it, though.
  • “performance assessment”: pomodoro timers, check-off statistics etc. Really naïve. Candy for kids. As relevant as assessing your driving skills by measuring the drops of sweat on your forehead.

What I would recommend you to focus on are things that are more in line with GTD task management itself:

4 Likes

I really enjoyed this quote… :smile:

Calendar integration itself is not a bad thing, although not high priority for me. The problems are caused by the misconception of many apps using due dates as their primary focus instrument.
Then it clutters up your calendar and keeps you working on your todo list instead of your tasks by having you assign and correct due dates everyday.

I totally agree with @Folke view of where time can be wasted and hopefully the GTDNext guys have seen similar resource-drains on other GTD apps that try to be too clever for their own good.

Keep it simple, stick to the core features and make it easy to use.

In my view, the web application is all but there and is already my trusted system. Replicate that same (or as close as) functionality in mobile/tablet form and I’ll be a very happy chap.

Love this discussion. You guys have great GTD discussions here. It is indeed expensive integrating with multiple apps. And, as soon as you do, there are requests for deeper and deeper integration - fools gold IMO. Zapier, IFTTT and TaskClone are probably sufficient for 95% of cases.