Any ideas of when iOS apps will be on the horizon?

Being able to use the app on mobile devices is, I would imagine, a necessity for virtually everyone. Without this capability, many would not start using GTDNext even if they absolutely loved it (the web app). So, from that point of view, developing mobile capability would indeed seem wise. But on the other hand, mobile capability is ubiquitous; all apps have it, and no one really gets new “lovers” just because they offer mobile capability.

Early on it was stated that you will make the web app very solid first of all, and only then begin to develop mobile apps. This would have the strong and obvious advantage of saving development time (and cost) overall by first fully establishing the “right” functionality (fully “lovable” for many) in one single environment instead of multiplying an experimental design on numerous platforms and then having to adapt all of these versions in parallel every time an improvement is found to be desirable.

So I have a question: What major areas of functionality, if any, to you plan to add or improve after the mobile apps are ready? Are you implying that the current functionality (and customer base) is solid enough, and that only minor tinkering and gradual improvement remains? Or do you see a need for adding something fundamentally different to the app in order to attract users who take mobile apps for granted, who have grown accustomed to all kinds of (perhaps funny) features while using other apps, or who simply have strong views on methodologies, GTD etc and are looking for more innovation?

Please do not construe my question as implied criticism. There is much good to be said about GTDNext. Beyond having most of the usual todo functionality, it also has stronger-than-normal capabilities in the areas of task hierarchies (competing with MLO, Todoist, Omnifocus etc) and sequencing (competing with Zendone, Nirvana, MLO, FacileThings, Omnifocus etc). I think most of us like this. We like (or at least do not mind) having hierarchical and sequencing capabilities built in (if the are unobtrusive and easy to use), but I also know that many people have many things they find much more important.

For example, in many app forums you can read requests (that I personally do not care for) for attachments, email integration, nagging alarms, location alarms, productivity measurement, time estimates, time schedules and what not. To develop all that would certainly cost a bit and would take development focus off other things. Other people (me, for instance) would appreciate stuff like colored priorities, automatic grouping of lists, repeating checklists, flexible filtering, exclusion filtering and other things. This would also cost a bit and would also take development focus off other things. And staying where you are or going slowly would not satisfy many of all these common user requests at all.

So I am essentially very curious about which way you plan to go. And I wish you my very best for the New Year 2015!

2 Likes

Very excited by what I’ve seen is available in a desktop browser. Definitely not getting the same experience via chrome on my ipad. Given this, gtdnext is not really an option for me until ios apps are shipping. Looking forward to that day…

1 Like

I am very excited for the apps, still. I just returned to GTDNext as it really meets my needs better than any other out there. Unfortunately, now when I try to login from my iPad, it just gets stuck on loading, so a mobile app is more important to me than ever now. Everyday I check to see if they have been released, I know they are working hard on it though, and appreciate that.

3 Likes

Ditto.

I’ve bounced from OmniFocu, back to Doit.im and have recently returned to Things but can’t settle on these whilst I know the IOS app for GTDNext could be around the corner. The @Armistead teased date of Q1 has been and gone with the acknowledgement it was an aspiration rather than a commitment. Is there a revised aspirational date at all? Need any help with testing?

1 Like