Works pretty well on iPad

I was pleasantly surprised that gtdnext works quite well in safari or chrome on the iPad. The only functionality that didn’t work so well was dragging tasks. This is because the iPad thinks that I want to copy them and just highlights the block.

Anyhow, it is nice to see that I can get my tasks on my ipad if I need them. Obviously a dedicated iOS app would be great but in the meantime this works.

Also I wouldn’t rush to get gtdnext on multiple platforms. Todoist has done this at the expense of some core functionality. Their basic web app is useless for projects and the iOS app behaves differently in key ways. Bottom line, it is no good for serious gtd.

I agree with this. It works quite well on the iPad already as it is, and I have noticed that in the newer versions the edit pane opens as it should, which it did not do before. I still have some difficulty opening project folders, though, and I am sure there are many other things that also need to be ironed out before it is good enough for being used on small screens and touch screens, but what I really think is important is what @rich said about multiple platforms.

I have seen so many examples of small developers (Doit, Nirvana, Zendone) struggling with the platform technologies, with constant inconsistencies between the platform versions of the app, and very slow speed of general feature development due to all this platform related work, that I truly believe GTDNext’s prioritization is right to focus on the web app for now - maybe even forever?

Of course it is nice to have an app optimized for exactly the screen type or device you are using, but the main thing for me (and I assume many others, albeit not everyone) is that the app works very well on any regular computer (Windows, Mac etc), and almost equally well for tablets (iOS, Android etc), and reasonably well for temporary use on smart phones (iOS, Android etc). I am not an engineer, but I assume that keeping it all web based (browser based) may be the only feasible approach, perhaps with some adaptive/responsive capabilities added along the way (or perhaps a couple of device related mode options like large/medium/small screen and mouse/touch input).

I agree with the above comments and have also experienced tardy development of other products due to the multi-platform challenges. The refreshing approach of GTDNext in using the outline approach and multi-layered activities is already starting to outweigh the multi-platform benefits in my own workflow.

However, if GTDNext’s intention is to remain a browser-centric product (which, from reading other threads, it isn’t - but these things can change) then for those of us who use the iPad without an external keyboard, an on-screen option to manage the outlining approach would be beneficial. Unless I am missing something obvious, without a built-in TAB key in the on-screen keyboard this doesn’t really work that well at all.

In terms of mobile phone, my only real requirement is a simple way of capturing items to the Inbox when they spring on me at unexpected times, so maybe a cut-down App to log items directly would be a good half-way house? I rarely use my phone to review or update existing Tasks and am happy to perform those activities via browser interface when I am back fully online. I realise I can use the Inbox feature but this is frowned upon by some employers as they (arguably) believe that this is sending potentially sensitive data to an unauthorised mailbox. I realise this argument doesn’t necessarily stand up to that much of a challenge when compared with storing such data in a cloud-based application but it is a real challenge in some organisations regardless.

+1
I agree, the web UI works great at home/office etc. But i really need a way to capture things on the move…

/Mattias

I would be a bit cautious about overestimating the capturing features on the phone, as if they were the only thing that mattered. Of course you need to be able to capture things when you are out, but you already have countless other tools for that (voice memo, ios reminders, paper and pencil, Evernote etc etc). Strictly speaking, if I may exaggerate a little bit, speedy capturing of thoughts would not even need to be in the app itself (but it is nice to have, of course, and I see no reason to exclude them).

Among the basic necessities I would need to be able to do with my lists is inspect and modify projects, make a new filtered next & waiting list and focus list, and enter and completely process new tasks - not just collect thoughts, but add all the tags, projects etc, i.e. get them “filed” properly. In other words, I could accept if the phone app is a bit crude and awkward and slow, clearly for temporary use, but it needs to be “fully functional” if I am away from my computer or tablet for many hours or days.