IOS - Add to home screen - offline issues

I love the idea of the offline mode - it has me looking at GTDNext again. (I went to “Things” which I love, but I think my next phone is going to be an Android, and sadly they have no interest in supporting this.) But one thing I was trying out is “add to home screen” functionality out of Safari - to make it more like a desktop app. It seems like if you do this, then the offline functionality doesn’t work?

When I’m online, synchronizing takes forever, if offline, it just gives a message saying "Safari cannot open the page. The error was: “FetchEvent.respondWith received and error: TypeError: The Internet connection appears to be offline.”

Just curious if you tested this functionality, or if it is just designed not to be added to the home screen?

Awesome, thanks!

Can you make sure you are not trying to do this in a Private safari browser session? We do know that GTDnext won’t work in the private mode. Let us know if you still have problems.

Yes, I use it all the time this way. Here is a video I posted recently giving a demo of GTDNext on an iPhone.

Well, this is pretty bizarre, but it works fine on my iphone, but not on my ipad. (iPhone 6s vs IPad 5th Gen). I’m not sure why that would be. On my iphone if I shut off both cellular data and wifi, I get a message that cell data is off and to turn on to access data, but on the ipad I just get that weird message.

The iPad also had all sorts of trouble getting the app on the home page (it said it added, but then you’d go there and it wouldn’t show up. It also wouldn’t let Lastpass fill in the PW. So who knows - something going on.

Same IOS version too. Oh well, it’s more important to work on my phone anyway. I’ll have to see how it plays on Android.

That’s really strange. I’ve got it working fine on my ipad mini. Happy to help you t-shoot more if you decide you want to use it there. thx!

Thanks - I don’t think it’s worth fooling with at this time. Appreciate the help!

1 Like