Format the notes

Hi,

When I write down notes I would like to be able to format my text so it is easier to read.
For example format text copied from emails, write lists, have bold, italic and headlines.

I guess the easiest thing to implement is Markdown syntax? Or maybe the same format bar as in this forum.

Thanks,
Andreas

Yes, that is on our list of future features to add. I agree that markdown appears like the best approach.

As of today this has been implemented. We actually found a better solution than using Markdown. We have added a WYSIWYG HTML editor to notes section. This allows for HTML links, different font sizes, bold, italics and much more. Take a look! More info on our blog as well.

Hi James,

Thank you for the WYSIWYG.

Some comments though. =)

• If I stand in the notes section and write a list. if I TAB or
    Shift+TAB the focus goes to the textbox for “Name”.

• I don’t have options for some kind of size or headlines to help me
    sort the notes.

• The “Format Block” don’t seam to do anything.

• When I stand on a action in the “middle part” and pres Shift+Enter the “marker” still is on the action row and not on the “Notes row”. And if I press arrow down the “marker” jumps to the next action. I have to place the “marker” below the action manually to be able to write the note. Maybe it is because of the WYSIWYG?

(Chrome Version 44.0.2403.130 m, Win 7)

/Andreas

I’ve logged this as a bug, thanks for reporting. We will get if fixed soon

This is coming soon. We will be adding/switching out some of the toolbar icons, so you can do this kind of formatting.

Interesting. It’s working in the center notes area, but not the right page. I’ll bug that as well. Thanks!

We will look and see what can be done about this. Thanks for the call out!

In today’s build .21 we fixed several issues you reported. Thanks for reporting!

• Tab and Shift+TAB works correctly now.
  • We removed format block for now. It will likely return, but need
    some time to figure out best solution.
  • Shift+Enter puts cursor in notes area now.
  • We’ve added icons to add color text, font size
  • We’ve reduced size of the icons to better match our UI Reduced size
    of full screen mode. It was tool wide on wide format screens.

We also added a few new things.

• Table support in notes.
  • Ability to easily add items to inbox from mobile views. (hit plus sign a top of screen)

I don’t have the same notes options in the Action Details as I have in the middle column.
See this screen shot: http://i.imgur.com/wQo1KYE.png.

Thanks for the rest of the fixes.

Win 7, Chrome Version 44.0.2403.155 m.

/A

Yes, we are still “playing” with the which icons to utilize. Feedback is appreciated. Any specific formatting features you are hoping to see?

I like to use the notes section as a description of the action it self but also as a log what have happened in this action (I think there have been another post about that).
And to be able to use it as a log I’d would like, from the top of my head: lists, headlines, dividers, colors, indents, maybe different font options and erase formatting to default.
I’ll think about it some more and maybe I’ll add some more things. =)

Is it possible to ha a < hr /> -button on the toolsbars? I like to use it a lot to divide my notes.

And also: Some of the short cuts don’t work on non English keyboards. On my Swedish one I need to use Shift or Alt Gr to access i.e. [, ], , /.

/A

I agree with Markdown! I’ve gotten really comfortable and efficient entering text using Markdown.

I tried copying some of my notes to GTDNext from my previous system and there’s some tools missing from the current editor - like headings, horizontal lines, block quotes, and remove all formatting (having to go into HTML view and manually remove tags is cumbersome).

I do like GTDNext’s table tool though, that’s one thing that’s missing or too limited in a lot other apps.

It would be perfect if I could just copy the raw markdown to GTDNext.

There are some interesting Markdown implementations out there, look at Checkvist and Notejoy. And don’t forget to use a more complete Markdown parser, like Github’s GFM, rather than Gruber’s or CMD’s basic parser.